- Maintenance on portable fire extinguishers.
- 5 YEARS
- Hydrostatic test on carbon dioxide and water-based extinguishers.
- 6 YEARS
- Maintenance on stored-pressure extinguishers.
- 12 YEARS
- Hydrostatic test on stored pressure and cartridge-operated extinguishers.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE INSPECTION PROCESS
- Determine if the extinguisher is properly hung
- Check the gauge pressure, condition of the gauge
- Check the date of manufacture, last hydrotest & 6-year maintenance date
- Check the valve and shell for damage or corrosion
- Remove the hose, check the threads, inspect the hose for cracks or splits, and inspect the condition of the discharge horn
- Remove the extinguisher seal and locking pin and check the upper and lower handles
- Replace the locking pin and reseal the extinguisher
- Clean the extinguisher if necessary
- Check the condition of the hose/horn retention band
- Check the extinguishers classification and operating instructions legibility and properly tag the extinguisher
- Check that the extinguisher is visible and unobstructed
- Complete a report of the inspection explaining any deficiencies and recommending corrective action